Monday, December 13, 2010

The Light at the End of the Tunnel

They tell me to just keep walking, that someday there’s going to be a light at the end of the tunnel. Well, since when am I in a tunnel? And what kind of light is going to be at the end? How do I even know if I’m in this “tunnel”? And what if I don’t want to reach the end? What if the light isn’t what I wanted? What if it’s everything I hate? What if, when I get to end, there’s nothing but disappointment for my fate? What now? What do I do? Do I just keep walking? What now? Is this supposed to help me or hurt me? Just keep walking. There’s going to be a great big light at the end of the tunnel someday.

Maybe the light is good. Maybe the tunnel isn’t bad either. Maybe I should just keep walking and enjoy everything as it comes and goes. After all, if I just sit here waiting, I’ll never get the answers to my questions. I’ll never know what’s at the end or what the light may, and regret, my friends, is far greater than disappointment to me. So into the tunnel I walk with no regrets, no reserves, no retreats. Just me, a flame, and a book, and I’m on my way. Someday, there’s going to be a light at the end of that tunnel, and I just wonder what it will be. I’m not stopping ‘til I get there so I guess you can join me.


Wouldn’t it be nice to see the light together, knowing we didn’t come all this way alone? We traveled through the tunnel. I just want to see the light of the sun. Maybe I’ll even start to run. Catch me if you can, and I know you can. Run through the tunnel with me. See the light that is waiting just there, at the end of the tunnel. Someday, it’s going to be there. I promise you. Someday, we’ll look, and we’ll see it and it’s blazing glory. We’ll see it together. We’ll cry tears of joy together just because we made it. We got to the light at the end of the tunnel. And when that day is done, I think we’ll say that we lived a good life, accomplished a lot, and it would be okay if it stopped. I think I just need to see the light at the end of the tunnel, and someday it’s going to be there for you and me.

So no more questions. No more doubts. No more fights and tears and carryings-on-about. I’ve got a tunnel to walk through, just me, my flame, and book. You can join me if you want to. I surely won’t mind the company. I think it would be better if we saw the light together because someday, there’s going to be a light at the end of this tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment